whiter, brighter teeth, healthier gums, prevents bad breath, kills bacteria and yeast, increased energy, clearer mind, decreased headaches & hangovers, clearer sinuses, lessened allergies, better sleep, clearer skin, more regulated hormones, improved lymphatic system.Streptococcus Mutans is one of the main bacteria in the mouth and a key player in plaque buildup and tooth decay. In a study from 2008 including 20 boys, oil pulling (with sesame oil) caused a reduction in the number of Streptococcus Mutans in the plaque in as little as 2 weeks.Another study compared oil pulling and chlorhexidine in adolescents with plaque-induced gingivitis. Both oil pulling and chlorhexidine mouthwash were effective against gingivitis.
Always do this as soon as you wake up in the morning on an empty stomach, or before you go to bed. Don’t brush until after the oil pulling is done.
1. You can choose either sesame oil or coconut oil, however I always pull with coconut because it’s anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory.
2. Put anywhere from one teaspoon to one tablespoon in your mouth (depending on what you prefer or can handle)
3. Optional: add 2 drops of oregano essential oil for supreme microbe-fighting power. Our unique blend “Filthy Mouth” contains peppermint and cinnamon essential oil for taste and extra cleaning power.
4. Pull the oil through your teeth and swish it around, but make sure to never swallow it – you don’t want to ingest the bacteria and toxins being released from your body.
5. Set a timer for 10-20 minutes and when finished, spit the oil into a plastic bag or directly into the trash. This is important, because if you spit it down the drain it can solidify in the pipes.
How to deal with the taste + add extra power to your oil pulling:Essential oils can also greatly improve taste and effectiveness. Which is why we created “Filthy Mouth.” Organic coconut oil that has been slowly mixed with organic Peppermint and Cinnamon Essential oil, which has ALOT of added health benefits for your oral health as well. Peppermint is good for an energy boost both mentally and physically, good for bad breath, headaches and digestive trouble. Filthy Mouth is a product we both try to use at least 4 times a week and the taste is great! I oil pull when I am in the bath and shower and then brush last when I am done with my morning/ night routine.
“Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic dental technique. In a study from 2008 including 20 adolescents, oil pulling caused a reduction in the number of Streptococcus Mutans in plaque in as little as 2 weeks. The benefits of oil pulling (especially with anti-bacterial, anti-fungal coconut oil) reduce the inflammatory pathogenic burden not only in the mouth, but in the whole body – which means you’ll have more energy, since your body isn’t focusing on fighting that load. You will notice whiter teeth, better breath, healthier gums, increased energy/metabolism, & less sensitive teeth.” – Organic Olivia