Many depend on the strength of antiperspirant to control perspiration, but a little sweat won’t hurt you as much as some of the side effects associated with these deodorants that are not all natural. The various aluminum compounds typically used in antiperspirants work by closing or clogged pores to prevent the release of perspiration. When sweat builds up behind blocked ducts, it becomes trapped beneath the skin. This can cause unpleasant side effects such as bumpy and painful inflammation along with a buildup of sweat-digesting bacteria, which actually cause bad odor. To make it worse, the acidity of the aluminum compounds causes a reaction with fabric leaving a “lovely” yellow reminder of your perspiration on your glowing white shirts. There have also been many studies reporting toxic deodorants (such as Dove, Degree, Old Spice Etc.) linking woman to breast cancer because the toxins sink into the pits which easily flow into breast area.
The product you’re using every day likely has some not-so-great ingredients. Parabens, phthalates, aluminum and more, all which, over time with consistent use, may increase the likelihood of allergies, sensitivities and disease. The science isn’t perfect, but there is enough to be concerned that there’s some real risk. So, why take the chance if there’s an alternative?
Be OK with sweating.
We all do it. It’s a wonderful and natural thing. Sweat itself doesn’t cause body odor — it’s the bacteria that builds up in the armpits that does. That said, I get it. You don’t really want to have a big meeting or event and feel like you can’t raise your arms. So balance it out. If you’re really worried about sweating, use antiperspirant very sparingly and only in critical situations.
Once you’ve committed to being OK with sweating a bit, try to make the transition before the weather gets too hot. I find spring and fall to be best season to take the plunge.
Know what’s out there.
Hopefully this is the fun and less stressful part: shopping. Note that there are pros and cons to several types of deodorants: I prefer a paste, because we swear by the results!
Pastes/creams take a little time to get used to and they’re not for everyone, though they’ve grown increasingly popular. The deal with pastes/creams is that you dip your finger in the jar, take a tiny amount and spread it along your pits. It’s a messier process but some swear by the results.
Give it a chance.
This isn’t going to be an overnight thing, unfortunately. It’ll take a bit of time for your body to adjust to not being blocked up by the aluminum holding your sweat in. Be sure to wash your armpits daily and try to keep it clean as your body adjusts. It can take up to a few weeks before your body calibrates to this new world order.
Common Toxic Antiperspirant Ingredient Side Effects
- Aluminum Compounds (Aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex glycine) – Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, skin irritation
- Parabens (methyl, ethyl, propyl, benzyl and butyl) – Endocrine disruption, environmental toxin, cancer, reproductive disorders, premature aging, immune toxicant, allergen
- Phthalates – Cancer, birth defects, infertility, allergen
- Proplyene glycol – Skin, eyes, and lungs irritation, reproductive and fetal neurotoxin linked to kidney and liver damage, enhanced skin absorption
- Silica – Possible carcinogen if contaminated with crystalline quartz, skin, eyes and lung irritation
- Steareths – Endocrine disruption, developmental/reproductive toxicity, skin irritation
- Talc – Non-reproductive organ system toxin, possible carcinogen if contaminated with asbestiform fibers
- Triclosan – Antibacterial agent banned in several countries due contribution to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, endocrine disruption, muscle weakness, skin, eyes, and lung irritation (www.womenslifestyle.com)
The Beauty of Natural Deodorant
As opposed to the synthetic counterpart, natural deodorant has a plethora of benefits. The use of only natural ingredients reduces the probability of suffering from diseases caused by toxic chemicals and limits the likelihood of experiencing contact dermatitis caused by irritants and allergens. Since transitioning to natural deodorant, my underarms are feeling fresh and odor-free even without deodorant. Also, because my skin isn’t irritated and inflamed, I can get a cleaner shave that lasts longer than when using antiperspirant.
We are currently sold out and out of stock of our signature and popular OG formula. And we won't be bringing it back any time soon. We recommend the brand Agent Natuer if you are looking for a great all natural deodorant.