Whiter, brighter teeth, healthier gums, prevents bad breath, kills bacteria and yeast, increased energy, clearer mind, decreased headaches & hangovers, clearer sinuses, lessened allergies, better sleep, clearer skin, more regulated hormones, improved lymphatic system. Streptococcus Mutans is one of the main bacteria in the mouth and a key player in plaque buildup and tooth decay. In a study from 2008 including 20 boys, oil pulling (with sesame oil) caused a reduction in the number of Streptococcus Mutans in the plaque in as little as 2 weeks. Another study compared oil pulling and chlorhexidine in adolescents with plaque-induced gingivitis. Both oil pulling and chlorhexidine mouthwash were effective against gingivitis.
Can do in the morning on an empty stomach, or before you go to bed, or whenever like a cleaning spree, or ritual. Best to wait until after to brush your teeth.
1. You can choose either sesame oil or coconut oil, however I always pull with coconut because it’s anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory.
2. Put anywhere from one teaspoon to one tablespoon in your mouth (depending on what you prefer or can handle)
3. Optional: add 2 drops of oregano essential oil for supreme microbe-fighting power. Or just make your life easier and order our unique blend “Filthy Mouth” which contains peppermint and cinnamon essential oil for taste and extra cleaning power.
4. Pull the oil through your teeth and swish it around, but make sure to not swallow it – you won’t want to ingest the bacteria and toxins being released from your mouth.
5. Set a timer for 10-20 minutes or whenever and spit the oil into trash. Most people don't like putting too many oils down the sink.
Add extra taste: Essential oils can also greatly improve taste and effectiveness. Which is why we created “Filthy Mouth.” Organic coconut oil that has been slowly mixed with organic Peppermint and Cinnamon Essential oil, which has health benefits for your oral health as well. Peppermint is good for an energy boost both mentally and physically, good for breath, headaches and digestive trouble. Filthy Mouth is great to use in the bath and shower and brush last after morning or night routine.
“Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic dental technique. In a study from 2008 including 20 adolescents, oil pulling caused a reduction in the number of Streptococcus Mutans in plaque in as little as 2 weeks. The benefits of oil pulling (especially with anti-bacterial, anti-fungal coconut oil) reduce the inflammatory pathogenic burden not only in the mouth, but in the whole body – which means you’ll have more energy, since your body isn’t focusing on fighting that load. You will notice whiter teeth, better breath, healthier gums, increased energy/metabolism, & less sensitive teeth.” – Organic Olivia