One night I was craving Thai Yellow Currry, having never made it before. I browsed a few online recipes trying to find ones that included ingredients that I already had in my pantry. The few that I found used coconut milk and I thought that it sounded easy enough.
By now, I have made this curry at least 20 times - from girls night to parties. Every time I make it it comes out a little different. Mostly because I always switch up the ingredients and vegetables a little bit, and depending if I want it to be creamier (coconut cream) or lighter (coconut milk) — or both! This recipe is mouth watering; SO easy to make and alter to your personal taste/preferences. Here is a step by step on how I make my curry:
Note: This recipe makes enough for about 8-10 bowls. Feel free to add your personal touches, flavors and seasoning. You’ll be surprised!
- Canned coconut milk OR coconut Cream
- I like mine creamy so I use 2 cans organic coconut cream + 1 can of coconut milk (you could also use a broth)
- 1 whole onion
- Oil of your choice – olive or coconut
- Garlic gloves (2-5 these are optional)
- Yellow curry powder
- 3 Lemons or 3 Limes or both!
- Seasonings of your choice, here are a few ideas, but feel free to try others:
- Pink himalayan salt
- Italian seasoning
- Chili powder
- Ginger powder
- Garlic powder
- Any other seasonings you want to experiment with!
- Sriracha (optional)
- Vegetables (or chicken/tofu) of your choice! I normally do:
- Green bell pepper
- Sweet or normal potatoes
- Zucchini or squash
Step by step, let’s go:
- Take a large pot, add olive oil and add in 1 entire chopped onion with the chopped garlic gloves (or pre-chopped jar of garlic). Let this simmer on low heat.
- Start your rice cooker with whatever rice you desire. Start getting it ready to cook. I like jasmine or basmati (Indian) rice from Trader Joe’s.
- Start cutting up all your vegetables, I normally start with the potatoes first since they take a little longer to cook, then bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms. Feel free to use any vegetables or meat your heart desires!
- Stir fry these all together in a pan and seasoning every now and then with basil flakes, pink himalayan salt and any other seasonings you like.
- Add the cans of coconut milk and cream to your pot with onions and garlic. Add 2-5 tablespoons of yellow curry powder and stir. Start adding lemon and lime juice + any seasonings your heart desires to taste. I normally do a little cumin, ginger powder, pink himalayan salt, basil flakes, chili powder… Trust me, you will think you are putting in too much but you probably aren’t. Keep stirring and tasting until you are satisfied.
- Add all the stir fried vegetables into your big pot and mix all together. Again, taste test and flavor accordingly. Add as many limes and lemons as you wish, with more pink himalayan salt, some chili powder, basil flakes and more curry powder if needed — and sriracha if you're feeling spicy!
Thats it!! Get the bowls out for all your homies. Scoop some rice, and then scoop some of the yellow curry on top! This whole process takes less than 30 minutes and is perfect for family gatherings or potlucks.
If any of you end of making this please leave a comment below and let me know what you think!